Note: Before you proceed, please unplug the vacuum cleaner from the main socket.
Cleaning the filter:
If you have a Dyson vacuum cleaner, go to our article on how to change a Dyson filter.
The filter in your vacuum cleaner is there to trap dust particles and should be washed regularly as doing this prolongs the life of your vacuum.
- Remove the filter from the vacuum
- If washable, clean the filter with water and leave it to completely dry
- It takes a considerable amount of hours for the filter to dry, so replace it with a spare filter
- If your filter isn't washable, gently dust it down in a ventilated area or replace it with a new one
Emptying the dust canister:
If you have a disposable bag instead of a dust canister, read our article on how to change them.
The dust canister needs to be cleaned once you notice a decrease in suction or if it looks fairly full.
- Remove the dust canister
- Empty the contents of the canister into a bin or a plastic bag
- Wash the dust canister with warm soapy water. Make sure it's completely dry before you place it back into the vacuum cleaner.
- When you place it back into your vacuum cleaner it should click into place
Clean the roller brush:
You will find the spinning roller brush underneath your vacuum. Its job is to help remove dirt from carpets.
- The brush is normally held in place with a cover. These normally clip off or have screws to keep them in place. Remove the cover, as appropriate.
- Gently remove the roller brush
- Remove any hair or debris that's trapped in it
- Before placing the cover back on, check to see if the vacuum belt is worn or has any cuts and if it needs replacing
- Check you attachments and hose pipe to see if there's any blockages
- If there is any in your hose pipe, use the top side of a broom to push them out
Once finished, wipe down the outside of the vacuum cleaner with a damp cloth and wait until everything is dry before turning on your vacuum cleaner.
Your vacuum cleaner should now work like new, whilst having a longer life span. If it doesn't turn on after attempting the above steps, you'll need to contact the manufacturer or call Knowhow on 0844 561 1234.
Always refer to the manufacturer's manual for specific details.
Other useful links: